Feedback and complaints

Your feedback is valuable to us. We use your feedback to better the services we offer and to make improvements to the practice. We are always happy to hear from patients.

Friends and Family Test

If you have had a recent interaction with the surgery please rate us on ‘how likely you would be to recommend us to your friends and family’. You can also leave comments on your recent experiences.

NHS Friends & Family Test

Complaints procedure

Why complain?

Although we try hard to give a good service, inevitably things sometimes go wrong. We hope you will let us know so that your problem can be resolved. Often this can be done easily and quickly at the time it happens and with the person concerned. However, sometimes you may wish to make a more formal complaint. When you make a complaint, we aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Wherever possible, put the problem right
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again
  • Give you the opportunity to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this

Our complaints procedure is part of the NHS system and meets national requirements.

How to complain

To submit your complaint, you can also:

  • Phone us on 0161 225 6699
  • Fill in a complaint form (available at the practice reception desk)
  • Write to Lauren Thorne, Complaints Manager or Debra Ramsdale, Complaints Officer

You may also ask for an appointment with Lauren Thorne or Debra Ramsdale in order to discuss your concerns. We may be able to book an interpreter if required.

Please be as specific as possible about what happened and the reason(s) for your complaint. Not providing detail may cause a delay in the response time.

What will happen next?

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and then investigate what has happened. We will then aim to respond to you in writing within 8 weeks of the date that we received your complaint. This process will be completed by letter unless you require a reasonable adjustment.

Sometimes we may ask you to meet with us, or contact you to find out more information about the circumstances. If you would like to meet to discuss your concerns, please let us know.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else we will need to know that you have their permission, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this. This is called gaining consent.

To gain consent, we will post out a consent form along with your acknowledgement letter. A complaints consent form is also available at the practice reception desk.

We are unable to respond to any complaints made on behalf of someone else until we gain consent. Please make sure to return the completed consent form to us as soon as possible to avoid any delays.

Time limits

We would like you to let us know about your complaint as soon as possible – ideally within a matter of days – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.

It may not be possible to investigate your complaint if you do not contact us within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem; or within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem.

Help to complain

If you would like help or advice in making a complaint you may like to contact the Independent NHS Complaints Advocacy (ICA) for Manchester. They offer free, confidential support to anyone wishing to make a complaint about the NHS. You can contact them by:

Phone: 0161 214 3904


Post: Gaddum Centre
6 Great Jackson Street
M15 4AX

You may also contact NHS England who are now responsible for the commissioning of GP services. They can be contacted on 0300 311 2233 or email

If you are not satisfied

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint please let us know. If you feel that you cannot approach us or if you are not satisfied with the final outcome of our investigation then you can approach the Health Service Ombudsman and ask them to look into your complaint. The Health Service Ombudsman is responsible for ensuring that NHS complaints are dealt with properly. The Ombudsman will usually investigate a complaint only after it has already been addressed locally.

You can write to:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Phone: 0345 015 4033 (8:30am-5:30pm)

For more information, please see the Ombudsman’s website.